Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

PlayNotes Issue 4: Elder Scrolls Online

Another download/update tonight, ack!

Long load screens at login, I suppose this means everyone's playing.

Tonight, my level 5 Warden who is doing quests from Vivec.


Going to the closest npc/quest location, I am offered a boat ride to a place I've never heard of, and the map marker for it is way across the land mass.  I'd rather wait till I have the quests nearby before I go off somewhere new.


Next closest is a simple one, find a stone, take some rubbings, help find the location of a lost library.


Rubbing stone


The cool thing is, this gives me a piece of a map in an Indiana Jones like display.  I get to find all the pieces. Then what happens?


It's night time and very very dark...

Next the charming family saga quest Like Blood From Stone.  I'm to investigate a brother who may be doing something shady in a mine.  Nobody ever does anything good in a mine, particularly in this game.

You can't get into the mine unless you lockpick the bad brother's front door and steal the key in his house, or find the mine foreman in Balmora and pick his pocket.

I can pick locks in the Elder Scrolls games, but not here.  I snap all the lockpicks or get a couple and freak at the timer going kablooie.  I wasn't meant to be a thief, truly. 

I had to look up how to pick a pocket in the game.  It worked fine but I felt like a real scum.  Again, not joining the thieves guild any time soon.  With a 75% chance of success, I plucked the key.

Another Night, Another Game, Another Mine 

 

Then I'm asked to murder someone.

This is all just going against my grain.  Hello. Good guy.  Heroine!  See me be a low, scummy killer thief instead.   I tried telling myself this was no different than any set of fetch, then kill the named npc quests in any other game.  There shouldn't be this desire to back away and not do what is so wrong.   It shouldn't even seem wrong.   Nice writing, if it can have that effect on me.


Notes:

I should should buy a million lockpicks and pick pick pick till I am not freaked.

H calls your horse.  I found this out with quite a bit of searching.  Not intuitive.  No, not even thinking "H" for Horse.

Haven't been able to summon my Warden Bear.   I finally find it looks like I have to slot him on my toolbar.   My toolbar with what, five slots to start with?   Other games might give you a few too many skills and toolbar slots, but this is bad, just the few given, and to use one to summon the bear, that's pretty low.

4 comments:

  1. I argue with the small number of slots ESO gives me sometimes too, though I think it gets somewhat better when you level to equip two weapons and can swap back and forth instantly. I did finally level the skill line enough to get the bear and once you have him summoned the button then commands him to make a big attack too, so it's not completely wasted, if that helps.
    I've been enjoying reading your play notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I haven't the skill to use the Bear yet? Does he get automatically added to your skill bar? That would explain why I can't get him out. Poor bear. I'll try to be patient, but you know how it is, I pre-ordered to get the bear, and everyone else is running around with their bear (sniff). I'm glad you're enjoying the PlayNotes series!

      Delete
  2. On the slots: I don't have a warden, but as far as i know, the bear will use the sixth Slot you have: the one for the ultimate ability.

    Also note that generally things get better for slot management when you unlock the second weapon slot, but the bear (just like the sorcerers summons) is a bit special here. If you have the ability only on one bar and switch the bar, the summoned pet goes away. So at least from what i gathered, a warden with a bear will have the bear in the ultimate slot on both bars.

    Mind you, that's just what i gathered from talks in game, without playing a warden (or sorcerer) myself, so i might also have missunderstood things.

    Also on picking locks on chests: once you got the hang of it, it's really not that bad. I mean yes, i also broke like a dozen lockpicks before i got the "Feeling" on how to do it. Also, my girl at the start was the very same as you, she failed a few times and concluded that she couldn't do it. After a while, i just made her pick a lock with me standing next to her and giving hints. Then for an evening of two, any chest (below master difficulty) was hers to open. (Master locks allow no mistake, so they are no good for learning. ) A few days later she also was able to pick them all, master locks included.

    It's really not hard to do. Just remember: time you move the pick around is time you don't pick the lock. So start from one side and work to the other direction. Push down a pin till it starts to wiggle. (Also, i am much better picking a lock when i have the sound on. Even before i am able to see the pin starting to wiggle, i can hear when it is about to start doing that. ) Then move on to the next pin in line.

    WIth just a little bit of practice, all but master locks are easy to pick and even those become manageable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the bear doesn't use up one of my regular slots, I'll be much happier. I'm undecided as to whether I like the Warden class at all yet, and I think the bear will be the make or break point.
      I honestly could use a lock pick coach standing behind me going NOW when I hit the sweet spot. I swear I let go as soon as it begins to wobble, but sometimes it stays in place and mostly it doesn't. You're right, I need to just sit and pick locks some evening till I'm proficient and fear no timer.

      Delete

Leave a comment anytime. I love to talk games.