Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mothers Day, From A Galaxy Far Far Away

I often read posts from gamers about Mother's Day that indicate most moms don't play anything but Candy Crush, if they can manage that.

My own mom favored Scrabble and various card games...we're talking Cribbage and poker. But.  

There was a point very near the end of her days when I was talking to her about Star Wars Galaxies, and what it was like for me to have such amazing adventures in that world.  I don't think she understood half of what I was saying, but there was this interested spark.

There was so little she could do, physically, but she had a great imagination, and a rich inner life.  I wished I could bring my computer over, and let her create a character. She would have loved all of the choices of hair color and styles, and the cosmetic options.

What really captured my imagination was that she would so enjoy being able to run through a sunlit world, completely unfettered by any physical ailments.  She could be as vibrant as anyone around her. She would have been so beloved by other players with that warm, funny, sassy personality.  God help everyone when she hit the cantina.

My own character early on was a Master Doctor.  It was a powerful experience for me to be able to cure anyone of anything, when I spent so much time in hospital rooms worrying that I would lose this little person.  Always that fear. You can imagine what it meant to me that I could also bring someone back to life.  Not possible in the real world, but how I have always loved saving people in game.



You might give your mom a shot at creating a character in your favorite game.  Even if she doesn't end up playing, I think there's a pretty good chance it will be a good gaming experience for both of you.

2 comments:

  1. I showed my Mum and her twin sister World of Warcraft back in 2007 and to this day they still play it regularly together (they're in their mid 70s now). They have double the number of level 100s I have and a lot more patience at repeating content. Dungeons are not their thing generally although they sometimes join us in a guild run when they're visiting and can be in the same room for us to explain the fights. Having the shared hobby is very precious to me, although I kind of wished they'd gotten more into LOTRO as well as I rarely play WoW for that long thesedays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How great is that? I love that they're playing and you can join them in Azeroth.
      My sister and her family picked up WOW after I let them try it out and they're huge fans. I hoped they'd play LOTRO with me too, but it didn't grab them the same way.

      Delete

Leave a comment anytime. I love to talk games.